Community Resource Series features Goodwill Industries

Goodwill Industries is proud of the services and programs they offer to the community, specifically veterans. Most recently, Goodwill was proud to partner with the Bossier Chamber of Commerce for the Veteran’s Job Fair to offer their individualized, holistic job services to allow each veteran or soon-to-be veteran to succeed.

“There’s a high population of veterans in our community needing our help and this is what our mission is about. Our thrift store sales support this critical community mission by providing more than 15 different programs, all aimed at employment – thus changing lives, helping those become self-sufficient and productive members of society, and oftentimes breaking the multi-generational cycle of criminal behavior, low education, and unemployment,” said David Tinkis, President and CEO.

Goodwill’s mission is “Improving People’s Lives through the Power of Work” and their organization strives to fulfill this every day.  Each client is offered job readiness training, life skills, career coaching, job placement and retention assistance by qualified, dedicated staff.  Employers are offered opportunities by partnering to conduct open interviews, hiring events and job fairs. Currently, more than 125 businesses and organizations partner with Goodwill, but they are always seeking more.

Last year, Goodwill worked with more than 2,500 individuals seeking employment and placed 713 individuals into competitive employment. Their success rate of those placed and employed after 90 days was 93%.

The Goodwill movement was founded in 1902 in Boston, Massachusetts by the Reverend Edgar J. Helms, a married missionary, who collected clothing and other used items for the immigrants getting off ships as they arrived in America.  Initially he gave the items away, but soon discovered that by selling these items, he could employ individuals who struggled to find employment. They were paid $4/day to help collect, repair and fix items. Locally, this same movement was established in 1926 by the First United Methodist Church Shreveport, to carry out Helm’s vision for our area.

Next time you think about where all the donations go, think about how it is returned right back to our community in impact.